Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Mema vs Futbol (aka Soccer)

So. Those who know me, know that even though I am a girl I love to follow and watch a variety of sports. Hockey, basketball, baseball, football and soccer just to name a few. When the Olympics come on I will set my alarm so that I can watch my favorite sports live and suffer the consequences later..

Well along this vein, Mema, does not watch sports of any kind. Throughout the Olympics I was explaining that a 'skeleton' race is not one between dead people and that there is a difference between 'ice dancing' and 'figure skating'.

So this brings me to soccer. Yesterday I was out sick with a stomach bug. Mema and I were in the living room resting when the Chelsey vs Tottingham game came on. Now, I'm an Arsenal fan, so I could really care less about this game but I thought 'hey, it's on why not' ... (yes that's right guys, a straight girl that doesn't mind watching sports just because they're on).

Well Mema comes in and says...

Mema: what sport is this?
Me: Futbol in the UK & Europe, Soccer in the US.
Mema: oh ok. So I'm guessing the ones in white are on one team and the ones in blue are on another
Me: Yes

To which I proceed to explain the game (which had been scoreless up to this point with about 40 mins left to go) in great detail. Explaining about the goalies and scoring and which way was what.

To her reply: Well that's nice dear but I'm watching my show at 4p (Game doesnt end till 430).

Game continues... just as she's about to turn it Chelsey scores.. I get happy.. Mema turns it... I get up to go watch the rest in the back...

Mema: You're leaving
Me: yeah I'm gonna go watch it in the back since it's getting good now that someone scored
Mema: Oh they scored?
Me: yes Mema
Mema: Well I dont see how you could tell with them just running back and forth on a field
Me: (palm to forehead - I explained it all for what... ) They put the ball in the box looking net.
Mema: Well why didnt you just say that to begin with...

Oh Mema...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment